At the Crossroads

You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now. --Joan Baez When men and women agree,it is only in their conclusions;their reasons are always different

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A morbid tale

It seemed to me like another world. I never wanted to visit the place. For one, i was scared. But it turned out to be a seriously transforming experience, left a lasting impression on me. A little gal sitting on one of the beds caught my attention. She had a certain presence that i could not ignore. I walked straight to her. She was pretending to read a comic book while from the corner of her pretty eyes peeked at the dark red roses and chocolates i was carrying. I sat next to her and offered her a rose which she refused to accept. I tried to strike up a conversation with her. She refused to answer and kept looking at the chocolates. I gave up on the idea of having a conversation with her. I left a bar of chocolate next to her pillow and started to leave.Just then she spoke up, i heard her say "Thank you". I turned back and smiled at her and talked to her for sometime. She was indeed a bright child and some of her answers were so brilliant that i wondered if was talkin to a 12 yr old.I had to leave,i had distribute roses to the other children too. Quickly i asked her what she wanted from life. "Life" she answered.The little child was suffering from Cancer.I cursed myself for having asked her such a silly question.Ileft the place immediately.I did not have the courage to look at her charming face and twinkling eyes again. I left never to retun.

Death is an inevitable aspect of life and cannot be avoided or altered.For a diseased person its life that gets more ardous and painful.As someone right put it- Life is short, live it to the fullest extent.In this fast paced world nobody has time for the other .Everybody is busy sorting out their own problems.In the end all that matters is how we have lived and what we have done.So - Live and let live :)

4 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 25 July, 2007, Blogger Karthik Balasubramanian said…

    oh damn.. i curse myself for being so far away.. I could have come to this place with you and helped you distribute the choclates.. maybe sneak a couple into my pockets without you noticing..

    I dont think i will have words enuf to say how i feel abt you for this.. I guess i would be much more expressive if were standing in front of you now.. am proud u did this jyotsna.. am really proud..

     
  • At Thursday, 26 July, 2007, Blogger vidya said…

    good blog...this will prob have least comments as u said:)
    i really donno what i wud have done had i been in such a situation...God bless that little girl...
    On a similar line,
    i met a singer who was extremely talented but was blind...he told me that his wish was..."In my next life atleast, I wish to see the world"
    I was just quiet, and didnt utter a word...

     
  • At Thursday, 26 July, 2007, Blogger Jo said…

    @Karthik

    Thx :)

    @Vidya

    There isnt much a sane person can say or do in such situations ;)
    But yes,We certainly can do out bit for these people.. yeah??

     
  • At Friday, 27 July, 2007, Blogger karthik said…

    good blog princess.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home