At the Crossroads

You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now. --Joan Baez When men and women agree,it is only in their conclusions;their reasons are always different

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Rendezvous with an American

Roughly a year back i met this american. Together we went to places both unfamiliar and new. He was on an official tour to India and i was fascinated by the idea of meeting someone from another country. This was when President Bush's poularity had nose-dived and 60 percent of americans' had voted against the Iraq war. Comfortably seated in a cosy air-conditioned car we set out to visit the temples at Kancheepuram. It was not long before he started donating his views on India. I was in the least bit interested to make him understand how India had bettered over the years. But i was forced to break my silence :p. I talked continuously for the next fifteen minutes. Just when i finished, i heard a knock at the window. A woman is rags , carrying a two-year-old, also in rags, stood before me with outstretched hand. Iwas flushed with embarrassment.My intention was not to make him bite the dust, but to stop him from making any further comments. He was advised by his american friends not to step out of his hotel room or eat anything outside.

We reached Kancheepuram. Before we stepped out of the car i informed him that temples are considered sacred in India. He smiled and said " You asking me to behave myself". Later we had food at a local restraunt and he dint seem worried about catching a disease :). We talked about work, life, family, marriage, discussed about our culture and the Iraq war. He called himself a pacifist and was not in favour of the Iraq war. Back then, I was of the opinion that it was only right to wage a war against the jehadist who wanted to conquer the world. India is a major victim of this Jihad war and it seemed right to me. we had a nice arguement. I was impressed by his knowledge of India and its culture. He changed my opinion of Americans. He was filled with humility and was a proud american, though he despised certain aspects of American culture. Unlike those arrogant americans who would blow their kissers off in public and make big claims which would make an individual from another country die in shame, he was a humble soul.

We spent the rest of the day shopping. He picked a marble carving of Indian Gods and promised me that he would maintain its sanctity. I was damn impressed. We met again the next day for lunch and he offered me rosogulla. I recalled having told him about the kolkatta delicacy the previous day. When I asked him about his next visit to India, he replied 'Never'. He left India that night.We exchanged couple of mails after that. I am looking forward to meeting him again. He has promised that he would return the hospitality i had shown when he was in my country..


And yeah, my fever has disappeared and my throat is clear. I am eagerly waiting to meet friends whom i have not seen in years. Time to unleash pent-up emotions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home